thaliasbooks

Never Eighteen
Megan Bostic
Progress: 200/200 pages

Day O8: Most Overrated Book

Divergent - Veronica Roth The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins If I Stay - Gayle Forman It's Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks

Divergent: I liked this book, but honestly? It's just the same dystopian novel we've read over and over again. There's absolutely nothing to make it stand out from other YA dystopian books, aside from the fact that there's a ridiculously huge fanbase. It was well-written and enjoyable, but definitely nothing special.

The Hunger Games: I gave THG five stars, yeah, but the series as a whole is pretty underwhelming. I don't think it's worth all the hype it gets. It's still just an average story, and I just can't forgive the present tense writing that ruins the narration for me. I don't understand why so many people like this book so much.

If I Stay: Yeah, I loathed this book. Loathed. I feel like it's one of the most overrated YA books that have ever existed. Almost everyone I know loves this book--why?! What in the heck is there to love? I nearly had to make a timeline of events to keep everything straight--the flashbacks would jump all over the place without telling me what age Mia even was, and the sequel was even worse. Ugh, I just hate hate HATED this book so much, and I honestly don't get why so many people fawn and bawl and fall all over it.

It's Kind of a Funny Story: Why do people like this? I don't understand. It's so disjointed and emotionless and the moral of the entire story is don't go off your meds. The main character doesn't even seem to "find himself" in the hospital--he just gets back on his meds and he's fine.

The Notebook: I love books where the guy pressures the girl into being with him, because they shared something years ago. And I just love it when the girl cheats on her perfectly nice fiance just because she's having flashbacks from when she was a teenager, and the only "romance" is actually rampant hormones disguised as love. This is one of the greatest love stories of all time? I say this every time, but why?!?!?! What is there to even like?! What's romantic about this relationship? THIS IS NOT LOVE.