thaliasbooks

Never Eighteen
Megan Bostic
Progress: 200/200 pages
spoilers!

A Bend in the Road (Review)

A Bend in the Road - Nicholas Sparks

I’m really not sure how much else I can say about these books. My reviews for them feel pretty much the same, although the rating might change a little, and that’s because the books themselves feel pretty much the same. It’s like I’m reading the same story over and over again, except with different names and professions for the characters! I get bored very easily, and the writing is lackluster and dull. This particular book ended up being less of a chick-lit sort of thing and more of a crime/mystery of sorts–which really bores me.

Anyway, I’ll try to keep this short, so as not to bore you guys. It’s hard to believe I read three books between each of these, since it seems like I’m always coming right back to them!

What I Liked: Spoilers!

• Um…it was tolerable? I can’t really think of anything very specific. I liked the addition of Brian’s narration about killing Missy, because it did add an element of suspense that was very much needed. Although it was a bit of a double-edged sword, which I’ll touch on later. However, while I don’t usually enjoy Sparks’ novels, there wasn’t anything in this one to warrant a one-star, “hated it” rating.

What I Didn’t Like:

• The same as always, I’m just not a fan of the writing style. It’s very short, very to the point, and very unimpressive. I find myself bored most times, as the writing doesn’t engage the reader and rather just tells the story–and absolutely nothing else. There’s no emotion, there’s no heart, there’s no feeling∙–at least, none of which that translates to the reader in a comprehensible way. It makes me sad to read stories like this, so full of life and sorrow and grief and inspiration, and the essence of what these characters go through is lost in the writing.

• This one didn’t really focus on Miles and Sarah, our main couple. It did for the first hundred and something pages, but the focus quickly shifted to Miles once again trying to find the man who killed his wife in a hit and run. It had potential to be interesting, even when we weren’t talking about Miles and Sarah, but since we had already heard the narration of the killer himself about that night, there wasn’t any suspense, and no reason to believe that Otis Timson, the man Miles believed did it, was responsible. We explicitly knew he wasn’t, so we weren’t faced with the same indecision and guilt and confusion that Miles faced. It was more like a waiting game for when Miles would realize he was wrong in suspecting Otis. I liked Brian’s narration, as I mentioned, but it didn’t particularly help in the plot point of thinking Otis did it.

Overall: I wasn’t captivated by this book, but I guess that isn’t much of a surprise. To get right to the point, if you like Nicholas Sparks, you should read this book! If you’re not really a fan, or are looking for a “first” to jump into, then this isn’t for you. Unless you’re a die-hard, your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

(http://thaliasbooks.tumblr.com/post/65384871832/a-bend-in-the-road)