thaliasbooks

Never Eighteen
Megan Bostic
Progress: 200/200 pages

Day 29: A Book Everyone Hated, But You Liked

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer  - Michelle Hodkin Of Poseidon - Anna Banks Fallen - Lauren Kate City of Bones  - Cassandra Clare Twilight  - Stephenie Meyer

Well, I've already talked about the Twilight series and The Mortal Instruments enough in this challenge, so I'm sure you can all imagine the reasons I love those books based on what I've written about them before, hahah. I know you're all sick of hearing about them. (;

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer: I know, everyone talked about what a douche Noah was, but curses if I didn't think it was adorable to pick Mara up from school and try to punch a guy when he tried to touch Mara (after she'd already told him to back off). I really enjoyed this book, and I was downright addicted to it. I spent hours reading it, just to know what happens, and although I haven't read either of the other books yet, I really did enjoy this one. and i'm the only one who likes noah.

Of Poseidon: I read some other reviews of this book, and I just didn't agree with a lot of points that came up for reasons to dislike it. Some people thought it was slightly racist because "the black friend" died, and they always talk about how pale the main character is, but...I don't know, it kind of made sense for her to be pale since she comes from a race of people who never see the sun. So for the Syrena to be ghostly white and pasty kind of makes sense since they live underwater. And while the aspect of an arranged marriage is kind of sexist, that's how some cultures work. The main character might have grown up in a culture that didn't make those decisions for her, but the other Syrena (Gaylen? Was that his name? Him and his brothers) didn't grow up in a culture like that, so they still operate by those rules. I think it was pretty crappy to marry off the sister without telling her, yes, but the whole "betrothed" thing didn't bother me. And those seemed to be the two things that pissed people off the most about this one.

Fallen: I read this right after a truly awful book. A book that included animal death, gross nastiness, various references to the word "putrid" and a myriad of things that made me feel sick inside. Looking back, I can see that it was kind of over-the-top in the romance department and that Daniel kind of sucked, but at the time, I really enjoyed it. I think I gave it four stars. I read it in pretty much a day, and I actually looked forward to picking it up. It was good distraction book.