thaliasbooks

Megan Bostic
Progress: 200/200 pages

400 of 522 (77%)

The Return of the King  - J.R.R. Tolkien

We've reached the appendices!!

It's a little heavy, I have to say. My eyes kept blurring when I was trying to sort out who the lines and kings were. I got really excited every time I saw a name I recognized, hahah. But I'm sort of confused about some things.

Aragorn is the son of Arathorn, and there's an Arathorn II with an Aragorn II listed right after it in the list of kings. BUT it says that Aragorn II was born in the fourth age?! Which...Aragorn Elessar obviously wasn't. I think the LotR wikia says he was born in the Second Age. So...I'm not really sure what to make of this timeline.

Also, I don't understand the Numenorian stuff. Who exactly are they? The first Numenorian king was an elf who decided to become mortal--and that was...Elrond's brother? I can't remember his name. And that's why Aragorn has an unnaturally long life for a Man? But where exactly do the Numenorian people themselves fit into all this and how did they end up in Gondor, of all places? And where after Isildur did the line just...drop off and disappear? Was Arathorn a king in Gondor, and Aragorn just said, 'Screw that, I'm becoming a Ranger,'? Did it happen long before Aragorn was ever born? The first film briefly addresses Aragorn's mother, but to be honest, I have no idea where he came from, or at what point the Kings of Gondor just...stopped ruling and disappeared.

The great part about Tolkien is that I actually care about all this stuff.