thaliasbooks

Progress: 70/636 pages
Never Eighteen
Megan Bostic
Progress: 200/200 pages

I'm Back! (Does this Feel like Deja Vu?)

For real, though, how many posts do I have about being "back," and I never actually returned?

I AM FOR REAL THIS TIME.

(Most likely.)

The thing is that I really miss reading. I haven't finished a single book since I graduated college even though I've had oodles of time. Other things have been keeping me occupied, but looking back, I can't pinpoint any of those things. Is being an adult the feeling that sitting down to read for an hour is somehow wasting time??

Anyway, I am trying my hardest to jump back on my reading bandwagon. I feel like I've missed SO MUCH in the reading world. I found out that one of my favorite books ever, Winger by Andrew Smith, has a SEQUEL that I never knew of, and I borrowed a copy from my boss/church lady. I'm really hoping this will push me back into reading. I burned myself out on all my Tolkien research, and as much as I love him dearly, I need a break from Letters

So here's the update on me!

I have a new job as a tutor in a school district in Oregon. It is, so far, only two days a week, but I'm hoping to be hired at a second school soon. I love tutoring, and even though I tire of the "Do you want to be a teacher?" question (English tutor/English degree--NO, I do not want to be a teacher), I enjoy what I do. Talking with students about what I love to read has also inspired me to try to get back into reviewing.

I am also doing Weight Watchers. It's harder to admit that here than I thought it would be (even though I know next to nobody will read this). As Thalia, I've done a good job of leaving my problems at the door, and my self-image regarding my weight is one of those things. As Thalia, faceless and essentially nameless, I've been able to pretend that I am whatever weight I want to be. Weight is not part of my reviewing (except on a few occasions when I've read books about weight issues). So there it is.

But, hey, don't cry for me, Argentina! I am SO happy on this program, SO happy with my progress, and I feel more confident than I have in years. I've been going since Jan. 4th, and I'm already down 14.6lbs, so you could say I'm feeling pretty good. Of course, I still have about a hundred pounds to go, but I'm taking it one day at a time. I'm telling you guys because it might factor into my mindset when it comes to reading now, and hey, maybe you care about who I am outside of what I like to read.

Anyway, things are slow for now, and becoming physically healthy makes me want to start working my brain again, too, and reading/reviewing really does that for me! I need to catch up on a lot of reviews for books I finished awhile ago, but I'm starting up my blog again, starting up BookLikes, and starting up GoodReads. I love it here, of course, but the truth is that nothing so far can compete with GoodReads when it comes to cataloguing. The reviewing politics drove me away from everything in the first place, and I can't keep up anymore.

(Side note: I hope politics doesn't stop me from enjoying books, too. It is not a secret that I'm a conservative Mormon on the internet, and well, sometimes that makes me feel like a black sheep. I will continue, as I always have, to keep my blog/reviews politics-free.)