thaliasbooks

Progress: 200/200 pages

287 of 373 (77%)

Ashes on the Waves - Mary Lindsey

Okay, so.

Here's my hunch. I still don't know if I'm right, but honestly, I can't see a way for me to be wrong. (If you've read the book, don't tell me if I'm right or not--I'm kind of enjoying the awkward build-up, hahah.)

Edgar Allan Poe married his cousin, Virginia. He wrote Annabel Lee after she died, in memory of her. This book is based on Annabel Lee. (There's the obvious.) Anna's great-uncle (or regular uncle? I'm not sure) lived in the house that she stays at on this island. He died mysteriously. Liam's mother died when he was born and he and everyone else always thought he had killed her, because she's been kind of ripped apart--the story is that he's possessed by a demon and that's what happened and stuff. He didn't know what she looked like. She worked at the mansion place where Anna's aunt lived.

Liam found out that his mother's books came from the library of the mansion. Also the bathtub that was in his house/shack. Anna's uncle had a picture of a woman in a book in the library, and when they showed it to Francine, she said it was Liam's mother. Liam's mother was fired because she was pregnant, but only Brigid Ronan actually told anyone about it. The uncle mysteriously disappeared before Liam's mom died (I think, if I got the timeline right). Brigid was also the only one at Liam's birth, and spread the rumor that he was possessed by a demon. When they went into her room, they also found that she had tally marks for every single day of the last twenty-ish years, which is since the uncle has been gone.

SO HERE'S THE ACTUAL THEORY PART OF ALL THAT.

because I'm pretty sure Brigid was in love with Anna's uncle.

& I'm pretty sure that Anna's uncle slept with Liam's mom.

& I'm also pretty sure that's why Brigid kicked her out for being pregnant.

& that would also explain why Brigid hates Liam so much.

AND THAT WOULD DEFINITELY MAKE ANNA AND LIAM COUSINS, JUST LIKE EDGAR AND VIRGINIA.

Then again, I'm not really sure how that would have worked with the uncle disappearing and Liam only being eighteen, BUT nobody ever told him who his father was and his mom worked there and got pregnant "somehow" and YEAH, I'M PRETTY SURE THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW.

GAAHHHHHHSEHYRCNKSEHYRVJ WHAT IF THEY'RE COUSINS?!?!?!??!?!!??!?!??!?!?!?!!?!?

Maybe I'm just working myself up for nothing.

omg.

Mary Lindsey might be like, really dedicated to getting the poem right.

Even if, you know, the rest of it has been pretty inaccurate so far.

ahhhhhhccckkkkkkkk

(show spoiler)

So, yeah, that's where I am right now.

I kind of like it more, but I think that's wishful thinking. But the writing is kind of pretty. I'm feeling three stars right now. I don't know whether to maybe add a star or take one away based on whether I'm right or not...